WMC Open- Call for submissions

WMC Open – Inspired by Mexico

The annual WMC open has been moved this year to the summer term and will be on display in the Ruskin gallery

11th April – 27th May 2016

Work must be submitted ready for display. 2D work either framed on or board or canvas with a hook attached. 3D work must be stable and of a size to display in the glass cabinets (approx. 30cm cubed).

All work to be labelled with name, contact details, course and title of work

Technicians will visit classes to discuss submission methods and framing options during this term

 

In addition, once work is displayed, you can also enter the Lowes Dickenson Prize by completing a form from reception.

Prizes up to a £500 Travel grant are available!!!!

 

All work to be submitted to the technician’s office in room 901

 22nd 23rd, 24th March 2016

Clearly labelled on the back with names, course and contact details

Prize giving and Private view: 5th May

Including food drink, music and day of the dead make up!

Any queries please contact annas@wmcollege.ac.uk

About ruskingallery

The Ruskin Gallery is located at the Working Men's College in Camden. Ruskin Gallery is a contemporary gallery located in the historic building of Working Men’s College in Camden. In addition to providing students the opportunity to show at a professional level, the exhibition programme at Ruskin Gallery involves inviting external artists for site specific projects. The Ruskin Gallery is run by curator Esther Windsor, who is a curator, artist and writer living and working in London. Working Men’s College (WMC), the oldest surviving adult education institute in Europe, was founded in 1854 and was associated with the Cooperative Movement and the Christian Socialists, stemming, from the same tradition that led later to the Worker’s Educational Association. The Working Women’s College, founded 10 years later in 1864, finally merged with WMC in 1967. Early supporters of both have included F D Maurice, John Stuart Mill, Tom Hughes, Dante Gabriel Rossetti, John Ruskin, Ford Maddox Brown, Walter de la Mare and Octavia Hill. Originally based in Red Lion Street, we have been in this listed building in Camden Town since 1905. We have continued to develop the tradition of liberal education and today the College serves the whole community, with women, unemployed and refugee students forming the majority of the student body. We have grown rapidly in recent years but are still small enough to know all our students and to respond to their individual needs. WMC was designated as a Specialist Designated Institution (SDI) under the 1992 Further Education Act.