Inspired By Ruskin

Learners from all over the college have submitted A4 size works inspired by the life and work of John Ruskin.

John Ruskin was one of the original founding members of the Working Men’s College over 160 years ago.

To celebrate the bicentenary of his birth we will are  holding an exhibition of work inspired by his legacy.

Inspiration has come from the wide range of his interests and practices throughout his life. From  his love of the landscape that surrounded him, his ideas about the relationship between truth and beauty, the cabinets of curiosities he used to teach drawing, to the social importance of arts education that he championed during his life, and even portraits of the man himself.

”Art is not a study of positive reality, it is the seeking for ideal truth. Life without industry is guilt, and industry without art is brutality”

 

The exhibition will be on display in the Ruskin Gallery At the Working Men’s college till the 8th of February 2019

 

 

About ruskingallery

The Ruskin Gallery is located at the Working Men's College in Camden. Ruskin Gallery is a contemporary gallery located in the historic building of Working Men’s College in Camden. In addition to providing students the opportunity to show at a professional level, the exhibition programme at Ruskin Gallery involves inviting external artists for site specific projects. The Ruskin Gallery is run by curator Esther Windsor, who is a curator, artist and writer living and working in London. Working Men’s College (WMC), the oldest surviving adult education institute in Europe, was founded in 1854 and was associated with the Cooperative Movement and the Christian Socialists, stemming, from the same tradition that led later to the Worker’s Educational Association. The Working Women’s College, founded 10 years later in 1864, finally merged with WMC in 1967. Early supporters of both have included F D Maurice, John Stuart Mill, Tom Hughes, Dante Gabriel Rossetti, John Ruskin, Ford Maddox Brown, Walter de la Mare and Octavia Hill. Originally based in Red Lion Street, we have been in this listed building in Camden Town since 1905. We have continued to develop the tradition of liberal education and today the College serves the whole community, with women, unemployed and refugee students forming the majority of the student body. We have grown rapidly in recent years but are still small enough to know all our students and to respond to their individual needs. WMC was designated as a Specialist Designated Institution (SDI) under the 1992 Further Education Act.